Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet debate

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet debate
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:44:31 +0000

Doug Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 10:28 -0400, Ed K1EP wrote:
>
>> So, I have a TX with an indoor antenna here in W1-land along with a remote
>> RX in VK-land.  A VK station has a TX in VK with a remote RX here in
>> W1-land.   No need to restrict remote receivers??
>>

> OK, so you turn on your remote receiver in Australia, and hear YB0XYZ
> blasting in on 7015KHz.  So you turn on your transmitter - 100w and
> indoor antenna in New England - and call the YB0.
>
> Really think he's going to be able to hear you?
>
> OK, let's say YB0XYZ has a remote receiver in the next town in New
> England - so he *can* hear you and you *do* get the QSO.
>
> How many *other* DX stations are you going to find where you have a
> remote receiver in their backyard and they have one in yours?

Take a more likely scenario.  The YB scenario is silly.

I'm on 80m calling CQ contest with my KW and sloper array.  My (local)
S-meter is hovering around S-9 with power line noise, QRM from other
guys in the northeast on nearby frequencies, etc.  I have no problem
hearing and working HG6N, G4BUO, IS0IGV, etc.  I know there are weak
guys calling, but I can't pull them through.

Now, I'm listening on my remote receiver in DL and I can copy all the
third and fourth tier EU signals that are calling me with their 5-100W,
indoor loops, etc.

No way should this be permitted.

Barry, W2UP

--