Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet debate

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet debate
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:02:10 -0500
It seems to me that we are talking about two very similar issues. Packet
involves the use of stations in other locations letting us know about
stations that we might want to work. Having remote receiving station gives
us access to that same information. Packet has the advantage of locating the
station for us; remote receiving stations have the advantage of locating and
hearing these stations (that we otherwise might not be able to hear) for
ourselves.

We are on a very slippery slope in saying that it is OK if the receiving
antenna or station is in our own section or state or country. I can't find a
way to interpret the rules to provide for this.  Frankly, how are we going
to catch someone doing any of these anyway...and even if we do, do we have
the will to do something about it?

I am tempted to say that it is unfair to use remote stations because it
gives an unfair advantage but then I think of all the other unfair
advantages that we have built into our contests. Although I have absolutely
no evidence of this, I bet there are a few...some...one station already
using or certainly experimenting with using remote receiving stations. I'm
told that the latency time keeps us from operating effectively at distant
locations. I suppose that it depends on what kind of networking system you
have.

Fortunately I sleep well at night, regardless.

Bill, W5VX