[CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW 2007 Result W2/NP3D - I just did not get it.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW 2007 Result W2/NP3D - I just did not get it.
From: David Burger <DBurger@energy.com.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:05:11 +1000
Dear Mr Andrei Stchislenok,
The CQWW score degradation you observed based on the 3 percent of lost
QSO's and 3.9 percent of lost Mults.. hinges on a key attribute on how the
CQWW events are scored.  You mention you lost
14.9 % of your final score.

The CQWW scoring is based on a QSO and Multipler product. In basic terms
this is a (very near) square-law relationship.... ie... if you put in
twice the effort, you will get 4 times the score.  eg. If I have 2
contacts and 2 mults, I get a score of 4.    If I have 4 contacts with 4
mults, I get a score of 16.

 I have mentioned this in the forthcoming ARRL DX SSB report for Oceania
(which is due for web publication shortly).

Anyway.. back to your numbers...  if you multiply 1.03 by 1.039 and then
SQUARE the result... you get 1.145... or a 14.5% reduction...   this
compares closely to your observed 14.9%.. (which means you lost some good
DX contacts) so I'd suggest the outcome is still acceptable.  What is
really means is that any errors you make, your score is punished by the
'square of your errors'..

All the best..
VK2CZ  (also VK8AA and previosly VK9XD)

David Burger