Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:15:53 -0500
(Sorry Howie for dragging you through all this).

> That looks to me like a legal couplet on 20 and a legal single QSO on 40,
> followed by >5 KHz QSY on 40 before another CQ
>
> Where's the rule violation?

Fair enough Pete.  Your scenario is not what Jamie originally posted.  Jamie
said Howie sent a CQ on 20 and got an answer.

So, in Jamie's original scenario here's what you'd hear if you were an SWL
with one radio on 20:

You'd hear Howie call CQ and you'd hear Jamie answer.
They would make a QSO.
You'd hear Jamie take the frequency and work someone else.
After Jamie was done working someone else, you'd hear Howie back on the same
frequency calling CQ again.

This would be okay if Howie had made a complete QSO somewhere else during
that time (AND only if the frequency was clear!).  Jamie stated, however,
that Howie's new CQ started up on the original frequency while Howie was
still in the middle of a QSO on 40.  This would be against the rules.  He
can only start that CQ after he is finished with the QSO on 40.

Like Dick said, it's all about turning the big knob after the 2nd QSO.
Practices that circumvent turning the big knob are not in the intent of the
creators of the event.  The creators were not envisioning SO2R when they
created the Sprint.

What to do about that I don't know, but following the existing rules would
be a good start :)

Mark, N5OT