[CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CH. 21 - MACHO CONTESTING

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CH. 21 - MACHO CONTESTING
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:43:18 -0700
I'm reading with great interest now the levels to what  SO2R and the Sprint
have  evolved.  And these are fundamentally the reasons I "retired" from
Sprinting many years ago.

Early on, I found the Sprint fun, and of course always challenging, although
to me it smacked of Macho Contesting.  Kind of like what guys naturally do
in their formative years, always trying to prove themselves?  Never much
substance, never relaxing - just trying to show who has fastest gun in
town..........

As to SO2R, just because you can do it, does it mean you should (forgive me,
again, Spiderman I)?  When I'm contesting from the DX end, I surely don't
object to SO2R ops using their 2nd radio to call me, but I do take great
exception when, without listening,  they rudely use it to plop their big,
fat, CQ on a frequency that they have yet to establish.  Truly, Rotten
Operating.  I can only imagine how it would add to the chaos of a Sprint -
especially with the very limited bandwidth of 80 and 40.

Well, Hope Springs Eternal (thank you, A. Pope), and perhaps some
reconsiderations are being proffered by those evolving beyond adolescence.

If everyone could only try and learn the SO2R skills of CT1BOH.
Comparatively, we're all just amateurs.

Vy 73,

Jim Neiger   N6TJ   9Y4AA