Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

To: w4tv@subich.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:07:36 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2007 9:40:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w4tv@subich.com writes:

>>> I think (but have no way to confirm) that CQWW RTTY is as  old
or older than TQP.  Of course, RTTY is the fastest growing
contest mode so it is inevitable than bandwidth needs will
grow even  if there was no overlap originally.

This problem is just another case of what for years has been ragging  LA5HE
about SSB operation below 7040 in CQWW SSB: too many people for too  little
bandwidth. This time it is the RTTY contesters giving the USA CW ops  the
problem.

>>> FQP has the same issue with SPDX RTTY on the last  weekend of
April.  As I said within the FCG, "domestic" contest  activity
should be moved down or to 7000-7015 where there is no
international RTTY.

For a world wide contest with a tradition of "last full weekend"  scheduling
it is hard to beat up too much on CQWW RTTY. I do, however, have  questions
about the QRM caused by the multitude of national RTTY contests  that all seem
to have the same "everybody works everybody else in the  world" format.  Rather
like if the state parties in TX, FL, CA, PA,  OH, etc., all had anybody
working anybody, rather than people outside the  state just working guys in
that
state.

Also, the RTTY contests seem to love to go on forever.  Where else  could a
24 hour contest be called a "sprint"?

I do appreciate the format of the upcoming German sponsored  Markrothen RTTY
contest: alternating 8 hour on and 8 hour off  periods. This is the same
weekend as the Pennsylvania QSO Party (in two  weeks). The contest takes a
break
starting at 0000z Sunday, at least giving  the PA guys a break on 40 meters for
Saturday night.

73  -  Jim  K8MR