Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY
From: "ku8e" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:29:23 -0400
W4TV wrote :

These are major international RTTY contests and activity will spread
as needed to find room and avoid other contest QRM.  RTTY contest
activity has probably increased by at least ten fold in the last
ten years.  What new blood there is in contesting is much more
familiar with computers than CW and the trend will only continue
to accelerate.

   I sure hope this trend reverses. It just shows how getting rid of the CW
requirement and making it easier to get an amateur license has ruined our
hobby. It's not surprising that modes like RTTY, that require minimal operating
skills are growing.

Maybe one of you diehard RTTY guys can explain to me what drives you to even
want to operate a RTTY contest? I tried it once and I was bored out of my mind
after about an hour. At least on CW or SSB you have to use your human sensory
skills to copy a signal and pull out a callsign. Do you get that same "rush"
and feeling of accomplishment with RTTY that you get after working that first
ever EU station on 160 meter CW thru the static and a big pileup? On RTTY the
computer does everything for you. I see no thrill from that. It almost sounds
like doing a CW contest with a code reader.

 I agree with K8MR that there are too many RTTY contests that occur just about
every weekend with the "everyone works everyone" format. Many of these RTTY
contests ruin some established CW contests that have been around just as long.
At least the State QSO parties are interesting - chasing mobiles around as they
move from county to county is fun  Let's just hope someone doesn't make it
easier to get on SSTV (like they have for RTTY) and they start having SSTV
contests !!!

Ask youself this question... Why do we contest ? (besides to satisfy our egos)
For years the official line has been to improve our operating skills so we are
prepared during an emergency to provide communications when all else fails. I
guess I just don't see where RTTY would fit in during a real emergency.

Jeff  KU8E