Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:43:19 -0500
On Dec 9, 2007, at 12:39 AM, Jim Neiger wrote:

> I've been having "private inquiries" from quite a few about this,
> and with
> some thoughtful suggestions and ideas and questions.
>
> I wasn't going to say much more about it, in a public domain, until
> I read
> this claptrap that Hans K0HB posted.

        What Hans posted is certainly not claptrap.     It is simple. If there
is a problem, report it. I am willing to chase down any cheater and
my punishments are easy to understand. Cheat, get caught, and you are
gone. As in forever. All I require is enough proof to nail the perp -
I can't go on say so, and I don't have an army of contest OO's to
make sure everyone is toeing the line. I rely on self policing.

> Incredibly uninformed, and for K0HB and K6LA and others who ask:
> there are
> such things as libel, and slander, and defamation,

Sure. But reporting cheating requires some proof, lest we just run
around accusing each other of crimes that may include opinions and
odd interpretations of the rules.

There is nothing libelous about reporting an OP that you know/think
to be cheating to a contest sponsor. Direct contact  is not a public
forum, the sponsor has a vested interest in knowing if someone is
cheating. and if you have proof, it in no way can be construed as
libel or slander. And sometimes a rule needs to be interpreted, and
once the sponsor does that for you, a person who appeared to you to
be cheating might not have been. But if there were cheating, you have
done a great service to the contesting community.

> and I choose not to  state here what I, and quite a few others know
> to be the truth.

        So okay! As a contest sponsor, what do I do with that? Allegations
of cheating that start and end  as nameless calling out is
worthless.  Until sponsors have enough people with courage of
conviction to report the perps, any cheating will continue, and those
who harbor proof, yet not come forward are just one more problem, one
we can't do much about.

Respectfully, You have to decide if knowing the truth and not doing
something that you should do is morally acceptable. Just make sure
not to blame the sponsors for that decision.

-73 de Mike N3LI -