Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:49:26 -0500
On Dec 9, 2007, at 8:50 AM, James Cain wrote:

> So, just how can a single op high power entrant cheat?
>
> Operate without a proper license?
> Arrange schedules before the contest?
> Go to the SSB band and move multipliers to CW?
> Have a second operator to fill in time in the chair?
> Run illegal power?
> Use packet/telnet spots?
> Pad the log with made-up call signs?
>
> I'm trying to think of more, but this isn't one of my many areas of
> expertise....
>
> CQ did a wonderful thing last year in putting every submitted log
> on their web site. Maybe they should put disqualified log(s) there,
> too. Then we all can learn how to cheat and "level the playing field."
>
> This is a hobby, for crying out loud. If we can't have full
> disclosure, what's the point?

Keeping in mind that it is a hobby for the contest sponsors too. I
think a lot of us will lose interest if we have to post every QSO on
some web site, and put up monitor stations around the world to make
sure that every QSO was heard by them. Who pays for all this anyhow?

        Ham radio is supposed to be self policing, and I like that.
Contesters need to do more self policing.

-73 de Mike N3LI -