Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:46:37 -0800

Forgive my naiveté but, being a relative newbie to contesting, I would like
to know exactly what all this fuss is about.
Snip...
As I said, it is very confusing to read about rampant cheating yet the only
evidence offered seemingly shows an error at best or stupidity at worst
unless I've completely missed the boat (which is not beyond the realm of
possibilities).
Snip...
_________________

Recognizing that the CQ write-up doesn't go into the specifics regarding
this specific DQ (however, there appears to have been only one reported in
the results) one must give some consideration to the last paragraph of their
DQ discussion where they wrote:

"If you want try to be at the top in any category, follow the rules. Do not
have another person help you if you are single operator. Do not use two
signals at once. Make sure that all your TXs and RXs are within station
limitations."

Given how infrequently DQ's seem to occur one might draw some conclusion
from their warning. It seems unlikely they would provide such specific
warnings for things "not to do" unless they had some evidence that such
behavior had occurred. That is just reading between the lines of course but
it seems to me that they selected their words carefully and for a purpose.
In other words, they didn't just pick those examples of unethical behavior
out-of-a-hat so to speak.

73/Patrick
W7TMT