[CQ-Contest] Where did it all start?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Where did it all start?
From: John Unger <w4au@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:33:59 -0500
I've been trying to remember where and why the whole packet/internet
spotting started during contests. I seem to recall that it originated with
the large contest clubs that had big MM stations. The basic idea was that
during big contests all the club members would feed spots to "their" MM
station to keep the ops on the multiplier rigs from getting bored (?) and
thereby increase the MM station's score. Of course, this was all done
locally with VHF/UHF packet systems that had probably originated just for
DX spotting.

Then, I guess, contesting software (CT?) became available that could
download and display the VHF spots in the logging program, and it became
possible for SO stations to directly take advantage of this information
being fed from other stations.

Maybe someone who remembers better than I can give us a more detailed and
accurate history; specifically, when was the first "assisted" category
created for SO stations using packet spots?

tnx es 73 - John, W4AU