Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: John Unger <w4au@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:56:37 -0500
Yuri -

I also dislike the DX Cluster in general, and its effects on contesting, in
particular. However, I disagree with your conclusion that we should allow
use of packet spots for all categories in contests.

I assume that when you say that "almost everyone is using it nowadays...",
you mean in other ways than for assistance when contesting. Clearly, in all
the contests that distinguish between assisted and normal SO stations, the
normal stations outnumber the assisted ones.

I got into this game of contesting relatively late in my 50+ year ham
career, but one thing that I have noticed is that the operators that I most
admire are the ones who operate and turn in excellent scores without
assistance from others' spots.

I, personally, like the feeling of operating as just me with my little
pistol station; sitting alone listening to thousands of other hams around
the world and trying to talk to as many of them as possible. Just me, not a
large group of "assistants" feeding me information that I should be able to
go and dig up for myself if I only worked a little harder and had a better
knowledge of propagation. I, also, would "... like to be recognized as a
guy who knows how to operate." (de K5ZD).

Maybe I'm just another dinosaur trying to avoid the inevitable, but I
sincerely hope that this is not the case.

73 - John, W4AU