Re: [CQ-Contest] Why not turn off the clusters during contests?

To: "'Dick-w0raa'" <w0raa@comcast.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why not turn off the clusters during contests?
From: "Mike Fatchett W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:43:08 -0700
Why should the clusters be turned off?  There are legal classes for packet.
I think packet allows a great number of non serious hams to get in the
contest and work new countries and make contacts that they might not
otherwise.

The problem is not with the technology or packet it is with the cheating
operators.  If we take a more authoritative stance and start outing the
cheaters and getting them DQed would be a great start.

Prior to packet there were 2m spotting nets.  I am sure everyone turned off
their 2m rigs during the contest right??!!  The use of spotting nets is even
more difficult to track than packet.

The cheating is not just limited to packet.  Plenty of stations abuse the
power limits, HP, LP or QRP.  How about multiple signals per band and after
contest log massaging and adding in all your friends calls to your log
whether you worked them or not.

Mike W0MU