Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: Yuri VE3DZ <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:59:47 -0800
On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:08:26PM -0500, Yuri VE3DZ wrote:
> I don't like Dx Cluster, but the reality is - like it or not - almost
> everyone is using it nowadays, one way or another. I mean 99.9 % of the HAM
> stations have the capability of using Dx Cluster today.
> So, why not just allow it for all categories, like it was done for WAE or
> Russian DX long time ago?
>
> What are we afraid of here?

I do not think it is fear.  It is that I do not find it as
much fun to do the contest as assisted and if everyone is
in the assisted category than I have to make the choice of:

- Run packet and not have as much fun.

- Not run packet and be at a disadvantage.

So - I guess most would end up running packet and the non-packet way
of operating disappears.  That would sadden me.  I and others could
keep going on without packet and see how well we do against others
that use packet.  That has it's own appeal.  I already do this in
other contests - but usually it is that I am trying to achieve a
better score than the multi ops.

It would also mean that places that do not have a way to get packet at
all or easily are at a disadvantage.  (they do still exist - even if
it is only a few)

But as others have pointed out - why stop at packet?

Why have any categories at all - just put all the scores in a big
pile.  This is not a new idea - we could just list them in score order
from the M/M DX to the QRP/poor antenna stations.  We will just assume
that they all use high power and packet.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net