Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:51:04 -0500
On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:39 AM, Dale Putnam wrote:

> Third: (Saved the best for last) Has nothing but a negative effect
> on my desire to participate. And, all we as contesters have to do
> to kill it all... is keep engineering it to death, worrying about
> how to fix it so something that ain't broke continues to fixed.

A very insightful and important comment Dale. Someone looking in on
this group might take one look, and decide that contesters are all
cheaters, or at least the ones who ever won a contest, and that they
didn't want a thing to do with it.

I would estimate that almost all contestants are honest. Do some
cheat? yup. Any cheater is cheating themselves as well as the contest.

I also think a great way to kill contesting off would be to make
every contester feel that the sponsors assume that they are indeed
cheating. I doubt I'd participate.

I'm trying to imagine the effect on numbers that mandatory recording
of audio and video, mandatory inclusion of frequency info (you'd be
surprised how many folks  have rigs  not capable of computer control)
and all the other proposed "proving that I'm not cheating" methods.

Time for folks to calm down and take a few deep relaxing breaths.

-73 de Mike N3LI -