Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R
From: Tom Haavisto <ve3cx@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:02:02 -0500
Hi Lee

First off, I don’t think there is a book on SO2R, and no, I didn’t write it.  I
have been away from ham radio and contesting for a number of years, and upon
returning was hit with all this talk of SO2R.  I did quite a bit of research on
the Internet to get up to speed.  With that out of the way, I recently joined
the ranks of SO2R, and will be happy to share my experiences.

First off – SO2R – as its name implies – Single Operator, 2 Radio.  The first
thing you need to know going in is – this is somewhat of a money pit.  Just
when you think you have all the pieces, you will need a few more.  And then a
few more.  Not trying to discourage you, but think – two radios, two amps,
audio switching, filters, along with additional antennas and feedlines.  It is
a big step – make sure you are using one radio for all its worth before adding
in a second one…  If you want the best bang for your buck – think better (and
more) antennas FIRST.

SO2R is not a magic bullet to improve your score.  It is a tool that you need
to learn how to use.  When you get good at it, your scores will improve.  At
the same time, you will be a more proficient operator – also leading to
improved scores.

The first thing you will need is a second rig.  Naturally, it will need an
antenna – even a long wire will do for starters.  Next, we need a way to listen
to it, and the main rig at the same time.  This is where stereo headphones come
in.  Several people developed a variety of home-made boxes to handle audio, but
the easiest is to buy a commercial box.  The box connects both radios to a
headset and your computer.  Next, we need a way to select the antenna(s).  Most
people use a box call a Six Pack.  This is a six port antenna switch with two
outputs (one for each radio).  There is a built-in interlock so you cannot
connect both radios to the same antenna (think blown front end).

Next, we need some filters.  When transmitting on one radio, the antenna on the
second rig will pick up some RF.  Too much RF = blown front end.  To prevent
this from happening, you need some filters – either coax stubs, or commercial
filters.  Naturally, you need one for each radio, and a way to automatically
select the right filter at the right time for each radio.  You will need a band
decoder to help automate the process.

If you want to run high power, you may want/need a second amp.  See what I mean
about a money pit?

Last, but not least, once you put it all together, you need to train your brain
to use it.  One radio (usually the one on the left) will be your run radio.
Ideally, you can run stations proficiently on it.  While doing that, start
listening to the second radio and hunt for multipliers.

The first time you try, you will make a mess of it.  I ended up hunting with
both radios – while waiting for one guy to finish, I would hunt with the other.
 I think my score went down instead of up!  It takes time, and practice,
practice, practice.  The really good SO2R ops have been at it for years.  Don’t
try and get fancy – just try and get the hang of it, and develop your own style.

But – as Jose CT1BOH commented – after you do SO2R, there is no more SO1R!  It
is addictive and adds a whole dimension of fun to contesting.  The trick is to
become good at it.  In reading some stores, some folks are running 150 plus
QSO’s on the run radio (2-3 QSOs/minute) while hunting/working with the second.
 Naturally, this comes after much practice, and is just one more tool in the
proficient operators toolbox.

Hope this helps!

Tom – VE3CX