Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R

To: "'Tom Haavisto'" <ve3cx@shaw.ca>, <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:58:42 -0500
Tom,

> Some contests have a "Tribander?and Wires" class - perhaps
> adding this class to other contests would fill the need for
> the average ham who lives on a city lot with one tower and a
> tribander.

The real equalizer, or entry level station, is no antennas above
50 (or 30 feet) and no antenna with more than 1/2 wave of total
elements.  That is an antenna system that almost anyone - even
someone in a HOA controlled community or just getting started in
amateur radio - can have.

Rather than argue about the tools and techniques a particular
operator uses to improve his score/results, contest sponsors
should be encouraged to provide the 'basic' entry class for those
just starting or otherwise restricted in their resources (or
options).  Once an operator moves past that basic level, let
him decide what will provide the best bang for the buck in his
own situation but don't limit the choices because of personal
prejudice.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV