Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:33:23 -0800

How about this for a new approach on this issue...

Rather than spend the next three months (or more) battling back and forth on
this reflector exchanging opinions regarding the interpretation of the rules
(of which there are many and so far not one single participant actually
speaks with the authority of the organization that owns the controlling
document) perhaps all those email bits and bytes might be better spent
writing to the ARRL and asking, pleading, demanding (if you're a member) for
a clarification, or if appropriate, an actual change in the written rules
that would eliminate this endless debate. Clearly this is an issue that
deserves some level of response from the ARRL.

I have had several personal communications about the open log issue with
folks who are involved at either the Contest Advisory Committee level or the
DXCC program. They have all agreed that something needs to be done to
address these concerns. It has also been suggested that perhaps the people
in the actual leadership roles are the roadblock to action. My guess is that
if the same number of emails that are being passed back and forth on this
reflector were landing in ARRL email boxes it would be far more productive
than the energy and emotion that's being invested here.

Discussion is great since it can help all of us to consider things from
other than our own narrow point of view, at least if we are willing to
consider that someone else might actually have an opinion of any value
beyond our own. However, this issue has moldered for several years since CQ
(right or wrong) made the choice they did. Rather than battle each other on
this reflector perhaps we should suggest to the owners of the program (just
in case they haven't noticed) that this might be a problem that deserves
their attention and perhaps even a public response.

I know, I know, it is indeed a radical idea but it is submitted none the
less with all due respect.

73/Patrick
W7TMT