Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:42:43 -0600
Funny how Doug's guess at what Hans is upset about has spawned so much
speculation and useless discussion.

The ARRL has stated that the rule applies to the logs of DXpeditions only -
it is not contest logs the rule applies to. This was stated when the rule
was announced by the DXCC manager who had the job at the time.

Now for my opinion: the rule is stupid. The rule is intended to prevent
someone from finding a similar call in a log and claiming that the
DXpedition operator made a mistake so that person could get a QSL that they
did not deserve.

Yo - ARRL! Forbid the practice of confirming qsos that are not confirmed in
the log of a DXpedition to solve the problem! Isn't this obvious? If your
call is not in the log, it is not in the log. Better luck next time. Just
like we do in contests!

Now, I'm hoping that Hans will soon share what got his undies in a bunch so
that we can devote the proper energy to discussing whatever it really was.

73,

Bob W5OV