Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
Pete,

Actually, it kinda saddens me that "the temptation to
cheat will be almost overwhelming" is the main reason
for allowing skimmer technology in SO unassisted. This
implies that many are already willing to cheat, if it
means "winning".

Seriously, all this does is make "SO unassisted"
meaningless. So we might as well just have SO and
forget about assisted and unassisted altogether. Which
would eliminate all cheating correct?

We probably should eliminate the power categories as
well, because those folks obviously want to cheat to
win as well, so no temptation, no cheating. Right?

I firmly think that user skimmer should be considered
assisted or multi-single, same as using the web, IMHO.
I guess I'm firmly in the "ham and a radio" camp.

In my mind, if people need to cheat to be the best,
then they aren't really the best. Are they?

Technology presents a lot of ethical issues, none of
which should be taken lightly. I realize this is a
touchy area. Please don't take this as a personal
attack, it's not. It's only my passionate opinion,
FWIW.

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn