Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:13:27 +0000

> > I'm not talking about the reverse beacon network, Steve - I'm talking
> > about using a Skimmer to feed your logging program locally.  There will be
> > no network benchmark for those.
>

> You have missed my point.
>
> I'm sure that the log adjudicators will be setting up a private network of
> skimmers that they will log into to grab skimmer spots through the skimmer
> telnet interface. That will provide a database of skimmer spots that will be
> used for later detection of skimmer cheaters.
>
> This will work every bit as well as using packet spot history to detect
> packet cheaters.

Again, you are thinking about  the spot trail from a centralized skimmer
collector, not a local skimmer.

What my skimmer gets in MS and what ARRL gets in CT will be significantly different.
 There is NOT a single "packet spot history" from skimmer. Each skimmer decodes
signals a little differently because they are using output from different
radios, antennas, and locations. So a spot showing up at one location might not
show up for several minutes later at another (if at all).<blockquote
About the only signature of skimmer use I can think of would be working a lot of stations at very
different frequencies (ie hopping around the band a lot).  Detecting this would
then require everyone to turn in a log with full frequency information. And
it would be difficult to distinguish from someone doing SO2R and combing the
bands for mults.

Tor
N4OGW