Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing
From: Dave/KA1NCN <dave@ka1n.cn>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
K9YC,
So what if contesters get ego-boosts from contesting?  We all recognize good
operators, and I suspect that they like to be recognized, too.  After years of
designing and building stations and learning how to operate, why should
operators be humble?

Is this deviant?  Who knows?  Who cares?  We are not hurting anyone.  So far as
I know, contesting isn’t in the DSM.  Though, it would be funny if it was.

And, so long as operators are not hurting others, I think it is great that
people are rewarded with ego candy.  It isn't as if we are in this for the
money.

Heck, the very act of running appeals to our egos.

Count me as wanting QST to publish full results.

NN3W, I am with you on open logs.  Nobody has any interest in keeping their log
secret.  A contest is free to require that entrants give it whatever license it
wants.  However, I don't think that even with skimmer "Every single 'secret'
path, hidden skew opening, and long path route is now or will soon be fully
open to exploitation and discovery."  In practice, skimmer is only as good as
the stations which host skimmer and whatever calls happen to be captured.  We
are a long way from perfect information about propagation.  But, LotW and open
logs are brining us closer.

73,
Dave/KA1NCN
dave@ka1n.cn