Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:39:35 -0400
Eric,

With all due respect... "Contest Cheating has escalated." ???

That may or may not be true, but without supporting evidence, it is merely
your opinion.

I for one would appreciate evidence to support that hypothesis.

To be honest, being told that "fear of being caught" is the ONLY reason
someone would not want their log made public does not sit well with me...
because implicit in that statement is the assertation that either I do
cheat, or I would consider cheating.  As neither is the case... as I said,
it's an assertion that doesn't sit well.

For one:  until it was repealled (announced only last weekend!) as
"unenforceable," the wording of the ARRL's stance on fully accessable
on-line logs could, in theory, mean that to have your log published could
jeopardize your DXCC status.  Without delving into the details on that... I
think being concerned about other unforseen consequences is a valid reason
to hesitate before condoning wide open log access.  [Frankly, that was my
main concern; now that the League has wisely updated their position, I'm
re-evaluating my stance, but that is not the point at hand].  I'm sure there
are others I haven't thought of off the top of my head.

To make a sweeping implication, that resistance to open logs implies
cheating or potential cheating, and only cheating or potential cheating, is
not a wise course of action.

But maybe I'm in the minority here.  So what's your evidence that cheating
is on the increase?

73