[CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:03:34 -0600
Tom and Steve (and anyone else out there who has an opinion) - Can you
take some time to explain succinctly to someone who is relatively new
to serious contesting why it is important to post promptly to the 3830
list, why it is good contest etiquette to do so, and what negative
behavior the difference in scores between claimed and actual scores
indicates? I can guess at these, but I can't make a whole rational
picture out of the discussion here.

I must confess that I have never posted to the 3830 list. As someone
whose current abilities are far from top ten material in the big
contests, I must confess it is a bit intimindating and embarassing to
post a score that is a half, a third, or even a tenth or worse that of
the copntenders. To have the actual score further scrutinized in
comparision with the claimed score by someone who thinks that large
differences mean something unethical or ill mannered is going on,
rather than simple mistakes, is really intimidating.

On the other hand, if I do post promptly, I can see several ways that
someone can use that information in a nefarious manner. Is that what
is trying to be avoided?

Isn't the real problem the long lead time between the time the contest
is conducted, the time logs are due, and the time results are made
public? - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey