Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

To: "CQ-Contest Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:37:34 -0500
"We need less apparent cheaters along with the sunspots."

"Do Caribbean stations really need the extra help?"

I am all for the sunspots!!!

Here is another problem caused by this idea that "Sunshine is the best
disinfectant".

Either you outright name the stations you "think" are cheating or you
categorize them as Mike has done.

Either way, I think it is bad for contesting. If you outright name them
and you're wrong, the damage is already done. If you categorize them,
you scorn an entire group which is completely unfair.

I have yet to see one recipient of these documents do independent
research to confirm their validity. I am not saying they are incorrect,
but everyone seems to take the data faithfully on face value and run
with it. No one seems to consider there may be an underlying factor with
doesn't carry an ill-conceived plot to cheat. In fact, what if someone
isn't really competing? Suppose they just want to have a good time so
they spot themselves to generate some Q's? Are we right in calling them
cheaters?

Remember, perception is reality!

Contest committees and adjudicators; I urge you to handle these issues
privately, promptly and with consequences, particularly for repeat
offenders!

Dave K1TTT does a great job with his report, but there is really no
reason to send these documents to the general contesting public, other
than for entertainment purposes or so a few can bathe in public
ridicule.

Please, let's stop this now.

David ~ KY1V