Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking
From: Zoli Pitman HA1AG <ha1ag@hg6n.hu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:18:27 +0100
This thread is the most shocking from cq-contest in many years... first
started with K5ZD advocating for NOT sending logs in... I read the email
and checked if the sun was still setting on west...

as an other "surprise" I found myself in agreement with KY1V (did not
happen in recent months) when he wrote this  "I realize it's frustrating
to be penalized, but asking "non serious"contesters not to send their
logs simply so we don't incur penalties is just wrong. Instead,
encouraging people to "do better" or try harder" is a better approach.
Heck, perhaps some of us need to slow down a bit on CW!" - Bravo OM!

but the thread went on... I was amazed and shocked to see how much
nonsense otherwise successful operators can think up. N1UR's post has
topped them all.

Just try to following logic: imagine station A and B share similar condx
and location. Therefore the statistical distribution of signal strengths
of their callers will be roughly the same. The pool of callers will be
the same with the same proportion of rookies and experts. Who will be
the winner ?

- who can make more correct TWO-WAY contacts from the same pool of
callers - eg understands the momentary circumstances better and not only
receives the correct information but makes sure that his information is
received correctly , and
- who changes a better band/change strategy so he can improve the signal
strength distribution of the callers (e.g. can work louder stations
while he is louder himself) while not loosing on other aspects of score
factors (i.e. mults)

and shouldn't these two factors - operating skills and strategy - decide
who is the best ?

ES5TV was right - some mistakes will always be made due to the nature of
these errors. Some you can prevent, some you can't but statistically
seen everybody working the same pool of callers will be equally effected
thus the final ranking remain the same. So just try to turn it to your
benefit by to prevent those errors as much as you can.

73, zoli ha1ag