[CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:37:10 +0000 (GMT)
This is very interesting, especially the "busted" numbers.

As Randy says, most are 1 digit off (1 too high or too low).

Randy further says he is going to slow down (both modes?).

I have to wonder...are these copying errors or data-entry errors (aka,
"typing")????

I hope Randy has a recording of the contest.  Is he a better "copier" or
"typist?"  Just
what was the root cause for each error?

Requiring a valid exchange on "each end" is something worth considering.  I
know we have
all heard "others" contesting where (fictitious example) K3WW works somebody
and they
bust his call, say K3WA (cw).  Let's assume K3WW attempts a correction by
sending his
call again but the other guy still comes back with K3WA.  K3WW "knows" that
under some
contest criteria, he will still get credit...so what is his motivation to
correct it?  Altruism?

On the other hand, what do you do if you're running and only 1 out of 20 guys
calling you
actually sends YOUR call back...how do you KNOW if he got it right?  You don't.
 Are we
all going to start saying, "K3WW...OK?" and wait for a  "C" or "R" or "cfm?"

This is a sticky matter.  Some guys "get away with" not correcting their call
while others
are never afforded the option.

Good topic,

de Doug KR2Q