Re: [CQ-Contest] Time for a Contesting Wikipedia?

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time for a Contesting Wikipedia?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:19:41 -0700
     Wikipedia has a concept of Notability.  For an article to exist in
Wikipedia, there needs to be consensus or evidence that it is about a subject
that is notable.  An article about my cat would probably not meet the
requirements about notability, but an article about the Cheshire Cat from
Lewis Carroll's _Alice in Wonderland_ probably does, for example.  If you
want to know all the gory details about Wikipedia policy on notability,
start here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

      So, Wikipedia can certainly support a main article about Contesting,
articles about certain other notable aspects of contesting (the World
Radiosport Team Championships, for example) but it might be hard to justify
a separate article about each commercial logging program or specialty hardware
product, or an article about the history of the CQ World Wide WPX contest,
or an article on N5TJ's contesting career, etc...  If one were to start
articles on those topics on Wikipedia, it would certainly attract
contentious challenges.

     Also, Wikipedia, as a more public resource, is far more likely to
attract vandalism by anti-contester bigots.  The Contesting article on
Wikipedia has been the target of persistent vandalism by an individual or
possible a group of disgruntled British (or at least using British
Telecom IP addresses) hams in the past.

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:42:39PM -0500, Joe wrote:
> ahh Need signature,,
>
> Joe Mayenschein  WB9SBD
>
> Joe wrote:
>
> > Why can you not go into details?
> >
> > Pete Smith wrote:
> >
> >>Tod, I think the problem with Wikipedia is, as some one else said, that its
> >>managers won't allow it to go into the kind of detail that contesters want
> >>and need.  What is appropriate for a general purpose encyclopedia, however
> >>expansive, does not begin to meet the need that I'm suggesting exists.
> >>
> >>73, Pete N4ZR

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/