Re: [CQ-Contest] FQP logs, the new robot and Cabrillo

To: K1to@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FQP logs, the new robot and Cabrillo
From: David Levine <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:12:12 -0400
Dan,

I checked this email when I first saw it and I looked on your web site and I
didn't see any place where it actually specified what the Contest name
should be in the cabrillo log. Did I miss it? So last night I submitted my
log and it bounced back with an error on the contest name. The error message
indicated I should fix it and resubmit, though maybe it wasn't necessary to
do so if it was just the contest name. I did a Google search with the name
returned in the initial error message:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=%22FCG-FQP%22&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=%22FCG-FQP%22&fp=gw7-ieDpVQk

and it doesn't show much in the results but nothing specific to the FQP
site:

I participate in a few QSO Party contests, and if I recall, N1MM always
generates the log file with a generic QSO Party name for the contest. I
never had it rejected or notified of an error before. Changing that value
and resubmitting it resulted in a "thumbs up" from the contest log robot.

You might want to take the info you are sending out about issues you saw and
post it to the web site for next year.

Another suggestion for future consistency is to explicitly list on the web
site how mobile stations should send there exchange and what the contest
logger expects. I think ARRL contests call them rovers and use /R as what
should be logged. Maybe that is just how the ARRL does it. From what I got
as feedback here, /P and /M should also work. Some of the preferences might
be around how various logging programs handle mobiles in a QSO party. N1MM
as an example doesn't allow (though you can force but scoring is off), AB1CD
on its own in multiple counties. You can use AB1CD/P or AB1CD/M, etc. But
maybe if there was some consistency it would be helpful. Also, it's not
always obvious on the first exchange with a mobile/rover/portable station
that they are indeed going to be setup in multiple counties unless the
assumption is if they call CQ using AB1CD/xxxx that they are.

73,
K2DSL - David