Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:20:28 +0000
Many years ago 73 Magazine published a book, a sort of operating manual for
DXers and contesters. I can't even remember what it was called. The cover was
red, I know that. Anyway there was a tremendous article in there written by
Katashi Nose, KH6IJ. IJ was the best operator (IMHO) of his time, so I
carefully studied his words. Many of his ideas are now obsolete due to changes
in technology but a lot of it still rings true. I hope someone out there still
has a copy of this, in fact it would be a great addition to Pete N4ZR's
Wikipedia effort.

I remember a couple of things clearly....like don't set the pen down when you
grab for the paddle. KH6IJ made a calculationn of the amount of time wsted
setting down and picking up a pen over a 48 hour contest period. I got so used
to sending CW with a pen in my hand that I had a hard time using a paddle
without!

73 Steve K0SR