Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: VK4TI <vk4ti@wia.org.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:39:10 -0500 (CDT)

You have certainly sparked some memories in a lots of us - my first year of
contesting was 1978 and from the first one I was hooked - I ran a FT101E and
a TS 820 two a pair of yagis on ten and 15 - suppose it was early (for me)
SO2R as I changed radios at will - they were run barefoot but it was a
competitive WPX or Oceania contest setup..I must have been a bit flash as I
had a rotator !

I too ran paper logs using a standard form that we created and printed using
a thing called a roneo(?)...it was a real old printing press setup but after
one contest a friend had this new computer that he was trying to interest me
in and he entered an entire contest log (over 1000 QSOs) into the PC and
presented me with a printout of the log and score - I still didn't gel what
the advantage of this computer thing was... fast forward 30 years and we
do..

When I organised the VK2ATZ/LH expedition we had a huge score in the CQWW
SSB 1980 and the log handler gave up and did not enter the logs -very
frustrating there were reams of paperwork -over 8000 QSOs...

I also ran a cassette tape recorder with a voice loop that triggered the VOX
another innovation - it was great for those boring times and these days its
certainly one tool I would not be without only now its a DVK..

For the key I ran a Bencher with a Trak Memory keyer and used my right hand
and wrote with my left hand..I am sort of ambidextrious as a play sport like
golf and hockey right handed; tennis I have no back hand which drove my old
coaches balmy and I write left handed..

Good questions really enjoy reading the posts ..

Trent VK4TI