Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: WT2P <fredwt2p@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:20:06 -0400
Just to add my .02 on the subject, my first introduction to DX'ing
(which led to contesting) was reading and attempting to emulate John
Locher (W9KNI)'s methods in his book "The Complete DX'er". It's still
very interesting reading today, and each time I read it, I learn
something new which translates very well into contesting.

One big thing that has been heavily discussed on here is the topic of
the cluster. As I seem to recall, Locher attempted to pick out DX
*before* it was spotted on the cluster and the pileups grew. The same
could be said for hunting that elusive mult in a contest: the art of
picking out weak signals and understanding the DX station's "strategy"..
getting in sync with his strategy of working stations, getting him in
the log before the hordes of people find him.

When I first started out, this was the way I learned... The local
cluster was not within range to hear my first 2M packet setup, so I had
limited (if non-existent) access to the cluster for anything.

73,
wt2p