Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: "Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: "PY2NY, Vitor" <py2ny.vitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:56:09 -0300
Nice message, Greg. I am looking back to 1980´s
and 1990´s. Doing national and international contests
at my own, with no computers, automatic CW, or
DVK. Well, was fun, and I can really remember
those old days at each time that I go in any contest
nowadays.

I see my table now, with two good radios, antenna
relays, amplifiers, and everything else. 1982/1983
using 10bq5 - 2 x 6kd6 tubes (PY national radio
producer), straight key, and paper. To control the
dupes, a big white paper with columns to letters
A to Z. Each callsign had suffix at your right column
like W2AA at A column, CT4NH at N, GB3IOTA
at I, etc etc... I could see almost imediatelly dupes!
Tower was 11m up, with single triband cubical quad,
with no rotator. Some time I left the radio, climb
the tower and did some adjustments to put the
quad to other directions, my goodness!!

I need to use right hand to do everything, including
CW. Touching radio panels can be done with left
hand here, or even MK2R+ buttons, rotator control...
You are right, we need to think in any possible
situation, and old techniques will be our salvation...

See you next contest - PY2NY