Re: [CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX
From: "Mike N0HI" <mike@n0hi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:11:55 -0500 (EST)
No, I don't see this changing participation -- and that is good.  You are
correct, a m/m or m/2 station can still knock down and interlock for a
m/s.  I'm sure they will.  I also believe at least a few big-time m/s will
move up to m/2.  In fact, I can guarantee it.

And I would like to see where in that snip I mentioned casual and serious
guys.  I mentioned:

a. The op who cannot afford or doesn't have the space for a second tx,
filters, antennas, etc.  (I'm sure a lot of these guys are present)
b. The local "community" multi-op trying to set the hook(K1TTT explained
his situation on this list a few weeks ago in m/m, but there are many more
in m/s)
c. M/s guys sick of getting beat by guys who do have the second tx (this
is probably the first category, too)

In the past, maybe you are correct; maybe not having the second tx and
entering m/s put a, b, and/or c in the "casual" category, even if our ops
were very serious in the operation.  My point in all of this, Doug, is
that now they are a little closer to the serious guys.  Taking away that
extra transmitter, even if it means interlocking a few of them, makes the
situation a whole lot more competitive for the "garage multi-ops."  I'm
sure the big interlocked stations will still rule the upper-end, but at
the end of the day, the scores are going to be a little closer.

Again, you're correct.  I'm only talking about making things more
competitive for the guys you just labelled as "casual" who are sure real
serious about being "casual."

--
Mike DeChristopher, N0HI
http://www.n0hi.net