Re: [CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX

To: W7VJ <w7vj@millerisar.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:10:19 -0700

No ... I didn't say that those who oppose the rules changes are
arrogant.  I've heard some pretty interesting and passionate arguments
supporting the existing M/S category, and it is apparent that several
folks view it as a real challenge to wring as much out of the current
M/S/ category as possible.  In my opinion, that's good for the sport.

What I said was that I thought it was arrogant for people to oppose the
rule changes on the basis that those who might benefit from them aren't
likely to be serious contesters, and that if they were they'd be willing
to invest the time and money to dramatically expand the hardware of
their station.  That sentiment has been expressed several times here in
one form or another, usually with some reference to "a bunch of guys
drinking beer".   That doesn't sound arrogant to you?

Actually, I didn't even say that you in particular were arrogant
(although I did probably make an overly broad reference to "everyone").
I said that your comment about the new M/1 category being essentially
the same as SOAB(A) pointed out the oversight that many people in
opposition to the new rules seem to be making ... that there currently
is no viable category for two or more serious contesters to participate
and be competitive with only one rig.  To be competitive, SOAB requires
a 48 hour commitment from a single person ... M/S does not.  Major
difference.

And no, I don't think that setting up a competitive M/S effort is merely
a matter of buying more hardware.  But it does include doing exactly
that, when in my opinion it shouldn't and still be called
"multi-operator single-transmitter".

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

And yes, I think we probably can agree that maybe the best solution may
be to simply add the new M/1 category without abandoning the existing
M/S category.  If CQWW can add a new Unlimited category that nobody
seems all that excited about, why can't WPX add one that actually fills
a need?

As I said before, I'm appreciative that Randy is willing to try some
changes.  Hopefully he can make some sense out of all the feedback.

73,
Dave   AB7E