Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: <sm2cew@telia.com>, <mike@n0hi.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:04:05 -0600
OK, so, I get it this way,

 Technology will always win... ultimately, and/or eventually. However.. that is
what amateur radio is all about. Ok.. I get that. Shoot... where have a whole
bunch of advancements come from... going a lot further back than the Tucson
Amateur Radio Club, even before the FCC. Now, and focus on now, please. Now,
with a real person on "that end" and a real person on this end, ( I won't turn
my contest station over to a 'bot, thank you) I don't have any problems with
assigning the error when someone gets totally obliterated with intentional and
deliberate QRM. You know and likely have experienced it, or ?? So.. without
getting into the "I own this freq" or "technology rules" or "digital is
assigned here so you have to live with it" discussions which lead to absolutely
no better solutions, and without getting all wrapped up with "but we've always
done it that way, and By xxx will always do it "...

  Let me say this quite simple... so even the folks in....... can understand:

 I choose to compete against me.. always have... comparing my score to my score
to determine improvement.. the ultimate goal is to learn. When I invest my
time, and my resources ... I want to learn... and (this is the point folks!) I
don't need to learn that a 'bot ruined my learning oppurtunities, during this
or that contest.

  So.. that is ok.. I don't have to play, especially in contests that are over
burdened with " 'bots"  and that doesn't hurt me at all.. because, I learn,
anyway. I just don't have to worry nearly as much about my blood pressure.

  That said, I want to invite you all... as real operators to consider that
during the 7QP... this station will be manned... by a real live person.. and
this real live person, has manners,... and expects to use them, while this real
live person is attaining a better score than last year.

(whew!)

Dale - WC7S in Wy