Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:22:08 -0700
Some interesting thoughts have been voiced on this issue.

In hindsight, my original post could have and should have used a lot fewer
words:

I personally feel that if I am made aware of the callsign and frequency of a
station that is calling CQ Contest by any means other than hearing that station
myself (i.e. with my ears, assuming I don't have a handicap), whether that
means by seeing a spot on packet or the internet, or by someone calling me on
the telephone or telling me directly over the radio, or by the callsign showing
up in text in my bandmap or on a screen or readout device that is in my view
while I am operating (and listening) on some frequency other than the frequency
of the CQing station, then I have received assistance, and am obligated,
whether by the rules or simply by my own ethics, to say so in my entry.

One person stated that the difference between assisted and unassisted is merely
the issue of whether a machine or my hand was turning the VFO knob on the
receiver that has the volume all the way down. I have never used a decoder, so
I don't really have any clue how well they work, but it would seem to me that
if they work at all decently, and I have some good CW filters, then it really
wouldn't make a lot of difference whether I blindly turn the VFO to find
stations or whether a machine does it for me. I would think I should be able to
see CQ TEST WB0XYZ on the screen and tell that this is a new QSO for me.

John

W2ID