[CQ-Contest] Cheerleaders and the impact

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cheerleaders and the impact
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:03:48 +0000 (GMT)
Being spotted (whether by many others or by a few or even one cheerleader) does
indeed
have a sizable impact on rate based on my many decades as a log checker in
CQWW.  It is
totally obvious that the RATE goes up when a spot is made IF the rate is such
that it can be
increased.

With the current WRTC situation, simply because the station receiving the
lion's share of spots did not
"win, place, or show" in no way proves that those additional spots were not a
help.  For all you
know, this station may have come been destined to come in dead last, but
instead placed
wherever they did.  Those with scores greater than the "spot-ee" do not care,
but saying "no
impact" is completely (a) a total guess and (b) probably NOT what those with a
lesser score
are thinking.

If anyone else out there has compared the rates of hundreds of logs immediately
before and
then subsequent to a "spot" on Cluster (as I have) and can refute the last
sentence in the first
paragraph above, I'm all ears.

I also fully support Ward's position: Send in the log now and "analyze" it
later.  Finding errors is the
role of the adjudicators, not the competitors (at least not until they've
submitted their original log).

de Doug KR2Q