Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:41:45 -0600
Paul,
I disagree. Some of the big USA multiops have excellent operators.  Some
have mediocre and poor operators.  Some jump on a new packet spot as
soon as it hits their screen and throw in their call before they listen
for anything.  For all they know, they may transmitting at the same time
as the DX station.  Maybe they get lucky and get in and out before the
hoards descend.  That's their goal.  I can name calls, but I won't.  I
can name a few who I've never heard do this - K3LR, W3LPL, and K1AR..
These guys know who they are, hide behind the call of the multi and
remain lids, but incognito under the guise of the multi call..
Barry W2UP

Paul Mackanos wrote:
> Here is the problem that I see from your end, and there are no flames
> intended.
> The first thing I will comment about is the BIG USA multi-op stations kept
> calling, completely ignoring what I was sending. Well, first of all remember
> this, if you are one of the operators in a BIG USA multi-op station, I can
> assure you that you are in the category of "one of the best of the best". If
> not, you would not be in one of the chairs at these BIG USA multi-op
> stations. There is no secret to why they always finish at the top of the
> heap. GREAT Operators! Experienced operators! Great teamwork! Etc.etc.etc.
> I am fortunate enough to be one of the ops in a BIG USA Multi-op, and I
> remember the many, many, many busted spots on you. Here is what happens,
> everyone sees the busted spot, but may not immediately know it is busted,
> maybe the band is just getting ready to open to Asia and a BY2 is a
> possibility. (In case you don't know it, the BIG USA multi-ops have
> equipment, antennas, operators, etc that can hear stations that other
> stations cannot hear. (If you can't hear them, you cannot work them!) That
> being said, the multiplier station will go to all spots and check them out.
> The BIG USA multi-op stations are not worrying about being beat out in a
> pile-up, they know they are loud, and at worst, they may have to wait in
> line for 4 or 5 calls to work you, yeh, believe it or not, we can hear the
> other BIG USA multi's calling you) they are loud and they know it. We are
> loud and we know it.
> Here is the problem, and I will cut and paste your own quoted words from
> below:
> "ID more often,
> "I remember one busted spot on me where I tried IDing more often"
> Humm?? What happened to IDing after every QSO? The BIG BOYS can copy your
> call and know the difference between a BY2A/6Y2A etc. but only if you take
> the time to ID.
> Listen to every single BIG USA multi-op station on their run frequency,
> every one of them ID's on every QSO, I repeat EVERY QSO, did you read that
> "ID on EVERY QSO". The BIG USA multi-op stations do not have your problem,
> WHY, they ID on every QSO!!
> But when you go on and on and on, and don't respond to me (or other BIG USA
> Multi's) sending ur call? Ur call? (AND I know I am loud, you are 20 over
> and I am pointing 6 over 6 over 6 at you at full legal limit, and you don't
> send your call back, I look at it this way:
> You get what you deserve, don't blame it on anyone but yourself. You are in
> such a hurry to save time and keep that rate up, that you forget about the
> poor guy that wants to work you. If the BIG BOYS can't get you to send your
> call, live with it, stop complaining and log the DUPES.
> Oh yeh, if you need to QRS to below 20 WPM, you are definitely not talking
> about the BIG USA multi station Operators, I believe most of them can copy
> [...]

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Lakewood, CO