Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk@gafm.ee>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:41:00 +0000
:)

I think you understand that by huge contribution I mean the increased rate and
interest for casual ops. That has nothing to do with allowing WRTC ops to use
packet. As far as we believe that un-assisted operation is the true measure of
skills and that is the agreed format of WRTC then that is perfectly OK. But of
course we don't have to force the casual ops to work without packet.

As for your question about the number of spots and their effect I don't have a
good answer. I thought about it previously. Of course it is true that WRTC
stations benefitted hugely from spots and each spot has positive effect on the
number of QSOs. I just can't say for sure if given the diminishing rate of
return those extra 20 or so spots would have given us the needed 11 QSOs. I
think probably yes but it is just a wild guess.

What is more important than number of spots is the number of local (Russian)
QSOs. Given that winners had 50% more spots by Russians then probably they have
more Russian QSOs. Still, it does not diminish the value of their victory to
any extent. That is simply the environment and rules framework we were in.

So you and others are correct saying that probably the playing field can be
leveled even more by somehow completely eliminating the identification through
SSB accent. So far still, I have not heard or come up myself with any idea that
would seem better than current setup.

But after all, we have 4 years now to think about it. I am sure we will come up
some smart ideas:)

73
Tonno
ES5TV