Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: "Peter Sundberg" <sm2cew@telia.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Richard F DiDonna NN3W" <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:09:18 -0400
I don't think I ever said that spotting doesn't affect contesting.  I said
that my opinion was that spotting really only negatively affects a small
proprortion of contesters.  Clearly there are several major contesters that
concur with me.

I'm not a fan of spotting, and think that a lot of hams do rely on packet
too much.  I don't.  When I operate assisted, the spots are there to
supplement my runs - and my runs encompass 95% of my QSOs. When I operate
unassisted, I'm still pulling down 95% of my QSOs.  The lack of spots means
that I have to spend more time spinning the dial on a given band and
checking whether every QSO I hear on the second radio is a dupe or not.

There are indeed a lot of hams who are doing little but point and shoot.
But, those point and shoot hams may not be making any QSOs in that contest
but for the fact that they can point and shoot.  I'd rather work the point
and shooters (including the dupes that come with a busted spot) rather than
not work them at all.

I'll also note that in this "dumbing down" phase of the world of amateur
radio, folks are still setting world records.  Somebody set the 20 meter
single band record in ARRL or CQWW this past year and worked THOUSANDS of
contacts.  I'd be willing to bet that more than a few of them were courtesy
of packet spots.

73 Rich NN3W