[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, questions@cqww.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Update
From: <w3oa@roadrunner.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:50:43 -0500
As paragraph 4 clearly allows the use of remote Skimmers for QSO alerting, I
interpret the clarifications to be talking about using a remote Skimmer as a
real time receiver and not as a source of telnet spots.  It seems to me this
means you can still use spots from Skimmers outside the 500m circle.

Is this correct?

Additionally, I don't understand why the Committee would give the RBN a special
status when to date it has proven to be very unreliable in contest situations.

73 - Dick, W3OA

4.  The *rules *pertaining to the assisted category mention: “QSO alerting
assistance is allowed (this includes, but is not limited to, packet, local
or remote Skimmer and/or Skimmer-like technology, Internet).  Self-spotting
or asking to be spotted is not  allowed.”

*Technology is advancing very rapidly.  The CQ WW Contest Committee wants to
make it clear about the use of Skimmer technology. *

*A.** * Skimmer and skimmer-like technology is permitted for all
Multi-Operator classes as well as for all the Single Operator-*Assisted
categories. *The use of a personal skimmer located *within the distance rule
limitations* of your QTH (500m rule) is OK.

*B.  *The use of a remote, personal skimmer is *NOT *allowed. This is the
same as a using a remote receiver, which is not allowed for any
category. *Remote
receivers (including Internet-based SDRs,) which are **outside the 500m
station circle*, *are not permitted* *(strictly forbidden) for any category.
***

*C. *Remote skimmers (beyond the 500m station circle) are *not permitted for
any category,* except for the *Reverse Beacon Network (RBN).*  *Utilization
of the RBN is permitted for all Multi-Operator classes as well as for the
Single Operator-Assisted categories ONLY.*  If you are a single op entry and
access the Reverse Beacon Network, *you MUST submit your log as ASSISTED.***