Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 14:51:46 -0500
On 3/2/2011 8:54 AM, Paul O'Kane wrote:
> On 02/03/2011 12:37, Pete Smith wrote:
>
>> This just about *has* to be a translation problem.
> This attitude is typical of those, whether individuals
> or organisations, who believe that they, alone, are the
> custodians of truth and the paragons of reason.
>
> They simply cannot imagine that anyone could think
> differently, whatever about having the right to think
> differently.

Gee, Paul, what's that old saying about pots and kettles?

>   >  However, the Russians have always been at the cutting edge
>   >  so far as contesting technology is concerned, and I cannot
>   >  imagine that they really intend to ban remote operation
>   >  where all radio transmitting and receiving is done at a
>   >  single site.
>
> That is precisely what the Russians really intend
> to do, according to the translator Mats R3/SM6LRR.
> It's a novel concept - it seems to be what is known
> as an amateur radio station.
>
> Why not review the translation privately with Mats?
> Or get another translator - although I have the
> impression that some operators not be satisfied
> until they hear what they want to hear.

I have, indeed, been corresponding with Mats, as well as with another
Russian friend, and I think we are all in agreement that there appears
to be something wrong with either the writing, or the translation.  The
rules emphasize, very strongly, their opposition to the use of remote
receivers ("web receivers"), and as I think we all understand, that
would be cheating.  Nobody has yet explained to me what is cheating
about someone controlling his station from his apartment 25 miles away,
or how such remote operation in any way violates the spirit of ham radio
contesting.

I've also written to the Russians to ask what they intended - in the
meantime I choose not to accept Paul's version of it.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,