Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:07:29 -0400
I am confused.  Technology assists and is not cheating unless used
incorrectly.  Packet, DX spots, skimmers are not illegal but are not to be
used by single ops.

Log checking software along with human interfacing will catch most cheats.
This leaves two areas of concern.  Power cheating and use of spots.  Power
cheating is one reason why Don N4IN and I took so long to add low power and
QRP to the CQ 160 Contests.  K1TTT and KS4Q both had the program that
uncovered spot cheating by Single Operator entries.  I am certain both the
ARRL and CQ Contests have access to this type of program.  The problem is
power cheating.  There was a 3 Land station in the CQ 160 CW that could run
stations and still claimed QRP.  Cheating on low power goes all the way back
to the old ARRL SS according to Spike W9XR.

Please don't make hams guilty of cheating until they get caught.

73 Dave K4JRB