[CQ-Contest] Multi-op rule change in CQWW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi-op rule change in CQWW
From: "Jeffrey Clarke" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:14:56 -0400

For all categories:

12. When two or more transmitters are present on a band, either a software
or hardware device MUST be used to prevent more than one signal at any one
time;interlocking two or more transmitters on a band with alternating CQs
(soliciting contacts) is not allowed.

A. All Single Operator categories (1A-2C below): only one person (= the
entrant) can contribute to the final score during the official contest
period. Call sign alerting assistance of any kind places the entrant in one
of the Single Operator Assisted categories. For all single operator
categories, all-band or single-band, only one signal is allowed at any time;
for the all-band category the operator can change bands at any time.

B. Multi-Operator (all-band operation only):

For all multi-operator categories: when two or more transmitters are present
on a band, either a software or hardware device MUST be used to prevent more
than one signal at any one time;interlocking two or more transmitters on a
band with alternating CQs is not allowed; any public QSO spotting help is
allowed. Any number of operators is allowed.

Read this rule again. It is for ALL categories not just the Multi-Op
categories. My guess is that a SO2R entry never transmits two signals on the
same band. It's usually on a different band.  Also see rule A for the Single
Operator category. It's interesting that a lockout device isn't required for
the single operator category considering most of the top entrants in this
class are SO2R. It seems like it would be very easy to accidently transmit
two signals at a time, especially on CW. I also don't see why it's fair to
let a SO2R station alternate CQ's on different bands. How can you prove that
this person is really single-op ? They could be claiming single-op and have
two operators working two different bands. I can see how you might figure
out this might be happening on SSB by the operators voice. This would be
totally impossible to catch on CW.

It's very sad what contesting has become today. I have been doing it for 35
years and I'm getting to the point that I have lost my enthusiasm. I do very
few full time efforts anymore with all the unfair advantages that exist in
the rules and all the cheating that's going on.

Jeff KU8E