Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED

To: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>, "CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:27:22 +0600
> I think that for digital signals, if you are single op - without
> assistance, that the decoder should be single-channel (decoding just one
> signal at a time) and require that the operator select (tune in) a signal
> to begin the decoding process.
>
> IMO, a device like skimmer for CW (or something similar that does Digital
> modes), that simultaneously decodes all signals within a passband is
> clearly different and its use should be considered assisted operating for
> those modes as well.

IMHO it is going to be really difficult to draw  a  line here for digi
modes. What is the definition of single channel? What passband is narrow
enough? What about SO2R or 3R or even more R? Can one use several different
decoders within one passband just because  different algorithms behave
differently under different propagation conditions? Will that be counted as
assistance?
I think that the definition of unassisted should continue to be linked to
the number of operators involved. If single person uses all the hardware and
does not get assistance from other humans in "locating and identifying" -
that is unassisted.

73, Igor UA9CDC