Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS QSO RATES!

To: "'Jeff Steinman'" <n5tj@hotmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS QSO RATES!
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:35:03 -0600
Jeff,

As the method you apply here is one based on your greater than average skill
set and experience, what would you recommend for someone who is not blessed
with the same or just starting out?

I don't want anyone to go away from this discussion thinking "N5TJ doesn't
sign his call every time, so I'm going to start out just saying QRZed and do
better". There's a lot more behind the technique you apply.

One of the advanced techniques that K5TR mentioned is the copying of several
callsigns (or partial calls) at one time from a pileup and working each of
them without signing or saying TU or QRZ. This is an advanced skill that not
everyone has and this is one case where one would not necessarily sign their
call between every QSO. This is a huge difference from just not signing your
call after every QSO as your mission - in this case, your mission is to get
more stations in your log more quickly and your copying multiple callsigns
at one time is how you do it - it is NOT enabled by not sending your
callsign. In other words, not sending your callsign is not the technique
that leads to any improvement - it is instead the result of these advanced
techniques.

No one at the top of this game is looking for advice on what to do; it is
those who are not at the top of the game or might be just getting started I
am concerned with getting the wrong idea.

For those looking for ways to improve, would you recommend that they call
one CQ, get a pileup going and just say "Cue Are Zed" at the end of every
QSO, or would it be better for them (until they develop better skills) to
just say their callsign at the end of each QSO?

As they gain experience, I would suspect that they could judiciously do
otherwise, but the point of my questioning this way is to establish the
principle - not the exception as the rule for those who do not have advanced
pileup management skills.

Also, we've all heard the unruly pileups that go on seemingly forever
without the operator signing his callsign. Lately, this has been occurring
with DXpeditions too and I also think this is very bad technique.

Not sending your callsign after every QSO is the effect that results from
the cause of applying advanced skills and abilities to pileup management.
Better efficiency does not result merely from omitting your callsign.

Make sense?

W5OV