Re: [CQ-Contest] CHECKLOGS -- another view CQWW-wise

To: k5zd@charter.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CHECKLOGS -- another view CQWW-wise
From: "Jack Haverty." <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:30:08 -0800
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>wrote:

> Every log received helps
> make the log checking better by enabling more cross checking.

IMHO, the way to get more logs submitted is to make it more attractive for
people to submit their log.  From what I've read, I get the impression that
most - way more than half - of people who participate in a contest often
don't send in any log at all.  Why not?

One reason might be that they see no reason to submit a log, since they
have no chance of winning or even reporting a non-embarassing score.  We've
all seen (and made) the excuses in the Soapboxes when we report a
less-than-stellar performance.  Visiting relatives, had to work late, took
the kids to soccer practice, can't stay awake that long any more,
neighbors' plasma TVs, etc.   The longer the regular contest is, the harder
it is for people to "make a full effort".

So, perhaps contest sponsors can entice more logs by some simple steps.
For example, there's many people, even "serious contesters", who can
sometimes only work, or only want to play, for a few hours this weekend.
What if contests' score reports always included one or more time-limited
categories, e.g., maybe "Two Hour" and "Eight Hour" rankings?

Another example - Teams.   Maybe Teams could compete based on the number of
Operator-Hours they involve, with similar divisions by total time.  A
"Hundred-Hour" Team might be 4 ops working 25 hours, or 25 ops working 4
hours.  Or a Ten-Hour Team - where 4 ops in a local club might spend a few
hours each at their best station, competing against others like them, but
not the Multi powerhouses..

There's other examples, e.g., the HOA-Challenged ops who use stealth
antennas.  I suspect there are *lots* of potential contesters in that
situation, but there's nowhere for them to compete even with each other.
If they participate, they probably don't submit logs.  But most don't
participate.

I think the best way to get more logs submitted is to look hard at why
people don't submit logs, and try to fix it....

73,
/Jack de K3FIV
Having Fun With 100 W and a Wire
Point Arena, CA