Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio
From: Jim Cassidy <jc_ki7y@q.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:40:24 -0400 (EDT)
I am  a Bureau sorter in the 7th call area bureau.  I  thought I would add some
insight from the volunteers perspective.

Its not a huge time consumer to handle the cards but has many small hassles
that slow things down. A fairly large percentage do not use the bureau.  And
some that do make things tougher for us.  Some who receive lots of cards will
only provide a few SASE with 1 oz of postage.  Others send lots of money and
envelopes but receive very few cards.  In some cases almost none.

The current postage regulations make it very complicated to mail the small
packages.  The basic envelope is easy.  From there its more postage if there is
a metal clasp. Its more if its too stiff or thicker than 1/4 inch.  Also only
so many can be stuffed into a 6x9 inch envelope.  In some cases larger users
will use the flat rate boxes.  Thats the most cost efficient but unless they
are getting hundreds of cards not too useful.

The possibility of also doing domestic cards was approached a few years ago.
Other than the fact it did not happen I do not know anything of the outcome.

To sum it up there is a lot of volunteer work to keep the ARRL Inbound bureau
functioning.

Personally I still like the paper QSLs but I do think LOTW should be used.  And
there are some stations around the world that QSL for every contact on each
band and mode for every QSO.  That adds quite a lot to the volume. Personally I
do not like that at all.  Its one thing to confirm a 14Mhz QSO on CW for some
one but not for the many contest QSOs every year.

73