Re: [CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?
From: "Timo Klimoff" <timo.klimoff@dnainternet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:24:28 +0300
>During the IOTA Contest I realized that some stations have become so
self-assured that everyone checks the cluster, so the need to ID after
contacts has become useless.
>Come on guys, there are still a few operators around the globe who actually
want to copy the call themselves and not rely on cluster spots.

IOTA contest is especially bad for this because it is a different case than
eg. CQWW or WPX. The main reason is that it is the contest were "DX
stations" (Island stations) have exceptionally big pile ups even when they
have very modest set ups (eg. I once worked at OH9A 250+ qso hour on SSB at
the first hour even with IOTA's long exchange and with 700 wtts into
Butternut HF6V). Same time IOTA has a big number of "DX" stations who are
not used to work huge pile ups. And by huge I mean huge, not normal
CQWW-type "nice&good" pile up. Especially on CW my contest career's biggest
pileups have been in IOTA contest (something like 15-20 stations calling
same time). So for many average or below average IOTA operators only trick
to handle their pileup is not to ID. Of course this trick is bad, very bad.
I prefer to ID same style than Mats.

73, Timo OH1NOA

(OH1NOA/6 11 qsos in IOTA Contest)